Friday, September 9, 2011

BUYING OLD VINTAGE CAST IRON COOK WARE

. My husband I have bought and sold cast iron for many years.We have kept many peicesfor ourselves and our family members.I believe if people are to collect something, they should really like it.Thats what makes collecting fun. I like Cast Iron cookware because it is durability and also that it can be used for a lifetime. My father enjoyed cooking in cast iron, He was the cook in are house most of the time, since my mother passed away at a very young age.Hetaught me how to seasoncast ironpans. The way he did it was he would washthe pan and dry it well. It is very important to dry the pan right away to avoid rust. Then he wouldadd about 1/2 teaspoon of lard orpam cooking spray. he rubbed it around all sides and bottom of the cast iron. Then he would heat it up on the stove for a few minutes. This would make the surface more slick and non-stick. I remember when he would cook eggs or potatoes he would evenly spread salt on the bottom and then put the oil. and heated it up.The egg seemed to slide better instead of stick.Many people still use it today. Some of us still haveour Mothers and Grandmothers pots and pans, and some ofthese pansdateback to a hundred years or more. Some of this Cast iron cookwarecan be very valuable. There are brands like Griswold and Wagner that can even fetchhundreds or even into thethousands of dollars. The greatestthing is that we still use them for our favorite recipes.today. Some of my favorites meals to cook in these fineold pans our fried chicken, corn bread, chilli beans, and of course fried potatoes. Does this food taste better in these pans? I think so. but that is my opinion. It seems to cook more evenly and stay hotter longer, being that cast iron holds in heat well. Many of us still use these pans while camping, hunting and fishing. Cast iron ware is awonderful useable cooking tool that holds many traditional and family memories. l knowwhen I use mine I still think of myFather and and all the wonderful cookinghe did in these pans. Thank you for viewing. ginlee370

No comments:

Post a Comment