Sunday, September 11, 2011

How to Cope When Hubby's Working Long Hours

This guide is coping strategies for stay at home moms when hubby is away working long hours.
This guide was really inspired by my own life. Ever since I've been married my husband has been farming. Through the years of having him gone a lot...(thanks to modern technology), I've gepiled a list of things I like to do with or without my kids to help me get through those long hours and not feel so alone in the task of parenting.


Develop a hobby or learn a new skill.

If Dad doesn't have a cell phone, make sure to get him one so you can be in touch any time of the day when you need to talk. I also find it's great for the kids be able to say 'Goodnight' to daddy or to just talk about their day.

Think of something nice to do for others if you're feeling down. Chances are, there's always someone who's worse off than you. It always lifts your mood and makes your pain feel less when you think of someone else.

Take your kids on trips to the park and let them run wild and play. I like to do this just before naptime or bedtime as it will really wear them out.

Develop relationships with other moms in your area. Chances are, you're not the only one who has a husband that has a crazy schedule. It's so nice to vent to people who really understand.

Make time for yourself. I hear you saying, 'Oh...yeah right!'. I'm serious though. I have a little secret: A babysitter! Get yourself a good babysitter and go out by yourself once or twice a month. Believe me, it's worth the money you'll pay the babysitter. I like to go out with a friend to a movie, dinner, or shopping. But, whatever would be relaxing and feel good to you, do it!

Look into developing a babysitting co-op with other moms in your area. This has saved tons of stress for me to exchange babysitting with other parents so I can run to the grocery store or a doctor's appointment.

Remember, You're WORTH IT! Most times I feel really guilty about buying myself certain things. You don't have to go crazy. But, I find it's really refreshing to buy yourself something nice that maybe you wouldn't otherwise buy. I like to buy shoes or maybe it's a shirt. Maybe you like to read...get a new book. It's really up to you. Mom's don't get a pay check for the work they are doing, just remember YOU'RE WORTH IT. It's okay to do something for yourself every now and then.

Get a make-over, facial, hair cut, tan, or massage! Sometimes doing something for your physical appearance does wonders for your self-esteem.

Keep positive affirmations somewhere where you can see it throughout the day and READ them.

Develop a good or several good friendships. Having a good friend helps the hours to seem less long. I like to talk to them on the phone while I'm cleaning my house or whenever I get a break. It helps me to feel less alone.

EXERCISE!!!! Yes, you heard me! Exercise gets your endorphins going which make you happy happy! Exercise helps me to feel stronger and like I can handle more than what I originally thought Icould.

Take care of your body. I bet your surprised to not see chocolate or gefort food on this list. The truth is that I have been guilty about geforting myself with food, but I promise it's not worth it! For the moment, you might feel good, but in the end, you're going to be more sluggish and tired and won't be able to keep up with those kids as well! Take it from someone who knows.

Have regular check ups with your doctor. Even stress can effect your body poorly and can even cause depression. If you feel youhave been in a rut for awhile, evaluate it with your physician. There may be something medical going on, and you may end up needing medication.

Put the kids to bed early! Yes, you heard me. My kids just know when I say it's bed time it's bed time. It could be 7 p.m. or 8 p.m. They don't know the difference. When they're in bed,take some time for yourself to relax. Allow yourself to watch your favorite show. I like to exercise at this time while watching my favorite show. It's hard to do that when they're awake.

Listen to soothing music. My favorite to listen to is Enya.

Clean your house in the morning and allow yourself the rest of the day to work on your projects or hobbies in between kids, or even let the kids help.

Make some one-on-one time with the kids doing something they like, such as; reading, building blocks, playdough, playing catch, or whatever it is. You will find they will be much more behaved when they are getting individual attention. Remember, they're missing daddy too and need to be reassured that they're not forgotten, just like you.

Take nice vacations every year to some place other than just his 'folks' house or your 'folks' house. Don't get me wrong. That's great to do. But, you need to start building your own memories and going places you'd like to go as well. I like visit family each year, but then we also take time to do our own quick little vacation just for us, even if it's just a camping trip or a trip to the coast.
As part of this guide also remember that just like you are tired, so is your husband. It is not a good time to make major decisions. Be honest and open with eachother sharing your concerns or feelings, but don't point the finger. Listen to each other and validate each other's feelings. Chances are that as badly as you're needing time and attention, so is he. You are both partners working hard. Work together. Be tolerant and sensitive to eachother's needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment