Saturday, July 24, 2010

Best/cheapest way to access money from US bank account in Japan?

I will be studying abroad in Hiroshima for two semesters. I will get a bank account with a local Hiroshima bank after I get there. Currently, I have a checking account with a local state credit union, and use a Visa check card. As I understand it, I can use this card at ATM;s in Japan; but of course, there will be a withdrawal fee and conversion fee. And since there is a limit to how much I can withdraw at once, those fees would add up.I also heard it would be impossible (or very difficult) to transfer money from a US bank account to one in Japan. Besides, transfers would cost a lot of money too, right?I wonder what would be the best way to get all of my money from my current bank account to the one in Hiroshima?Traveler;s check? Cashing it all in and converting it all at once? Is that even possible?Opening an account with a certain bank?I know Citibank has branches in Japan, but none in Hiroshima.Basically, I just need the cheapest, most efficient way to access money while I;m in Japan.Any advice is greatly appreciated. :)|||"I also heard it would be impossible (or very difficult) to transfer money from a US bank account to one in Japan. Besides, transfers would cost a lot of money too, right?"No it is not difficult at all. You just need to fill out a form at your bank branch office and send the money to your bank in Japan. All banks should have an IBAN number.The problem:You probably won;t be able to because you aren;t in America to fill out the forms to send it right?So what options do you have lets take a look:1. You an do what you said, putting your money into traveler;s checks then cashing it out in Japan and then putting into your Japanese bank account. Finding a place to cash traveler;s checks can be difficult at times too (though airports have the exchange facilities).2. Transfer your money into a parent;s account, when you have your Japanese bank account set up, do one large international wire transfer from your parents account to your bank account in Japan. Of course make sure you take enough money with you in the beginning so you will have spending cash. Of course, if you send anything over 10,000 US dollars this automatically gets reported to the IRS and might get additional Homeland Security checks as well.3. Do something in between. take half or enough money with you to Japan then have the other half transferred from a parents account in the USA to your Japanese account (once you have it set up). If you plan to bring in 1million Japanese yen or more yen in one lump sum (about 10,000 US dollars) you need to report that to Japanese authorities.Or another option is when you do ATM withdrawals try to take out as much as you can in one lump sum. If you do two large monthly withdrawals then the fees etc shouldn;t add up too much.You can also contact your bank and have them increase your withdrawal limits. It is your money! Also inform them that you are traveling internationally as well. Also remember you can only get money from International ATMs found at Post Offices. Since there are no Citibanks in the area you are at. 7-11 ATMs work as well.If you are going to be in Hiroshima, then I suggest opening a bank account with Shinsei Bank, they have one branch in Hiroshima.|||Bring all your money in the form of travelers checks and open up an account here. Done deal. As has been pointed out, there;s this $10,000 reporting limit, but that is all it is. As long as you note it, you might have a couple of questions to answer regarding the money, but I think in your case it would be very easily explained.Don;t count on the ATM card working. Supposedly the ATM card should work at post offices, but I also have an American based credit union account and have yet to work out how to get money out of the account.It;s not hard to wire money. I contact my credit union by secure website, and the money gets wired. You will get charged a fee by your bank and a more substantial fee from the Japanese bank receiving the money.Keep in mind you don;t have to open an account, but just have everything in travelers checks. Any large bank will do the conversion for you. Small branch offices may not be able to help you. If I were you, I would forget about the bank account and just bring travelers checks, cashing them in as the need arose. Requires a few more hoops to jump through, but avoids having to open an account.|||If your bank wont; let you wire money to Japan then open an account with a major bank before going to Japan.I wire money from the US to Japan a few times a year. It;s not difficult. I have to call a 1-800 first to get a authorization code then fax the bank a wire request form. Some banks let you do all that online. I pay $30 to my US bank and nothing to my Japanese bank. I recommend Shinsei Bank in Japan because they have the best English support. I don;t know if they have a branch in Hiroshima but you can open an account through the mail so it doesn;t matter.I believe the cheapest way, in order, are:1. TC2. Wire (if the amount is large enough)3. ATM4. Cash|||You may send a "bank wire transfer" from your American bank account to your Japanese bank account. Go to your American bank to learn how. The fee is around $50 regardless of the size of the transfer. This is the safest, fastest, and least expensive way to move money overseas.The foreign branches of American banks (like Citibank) are completely separate from their American sister institutions. Citibank in Japan cannot access a Citibank USA bank account.

No comments:

Post a Comment