Monday, July 26, 2010

Considering a co-op postgraduate program in Canada. How should I prepare?

I will be graduating with a bachelor;s degree in Communication from Indonesia in mid 2011, and I have a pending permanent residency for Canada which I must activate by 2012. My city of preference would be Vancouver, but I really am willing to consider anywhere in Canada. My current GPA is 3.61, and I;m planning to get a scholarship, or at least financial assistance which I can supplement by working in Canada.I am looking for information on a postgraduate program about community development in developing countries; how geography, the sociopoliticocultural climate, and the education of those countries impact the advancement of those nations; and how international organizations and foreign relations with developed countries can help the advancement of those developing countries. In terms of prerequisite, I;d imagine that communication will be a widely used discipline in this kind of studies; plus in my current bachelor;s program I have studied subjects like anthropology, sociology, intercultural communication, psychology, Napoleonic law, and politics. I;d eventually want to split my residence between Indonesia and Canada, conducting community development projects in Indonesia by means of education, vocational equipment of young people, and small business development among competent adults.If possible, I;d prefer to not have to ask my parents to pay for anything; which means that I will need to work when I come to Canada. I;ve been informed of "co-op" programs where international students can come to study postgrad at a Canadian college while working on an internship program and getting paid for it; and if I need more money still, I can apply for additional work on campus or find a scholarship.I;m setting a goal to come to Canada by September 2011. The Canadian Education Services International in Jakarta has told me to prepare mainly a TOEFL or IELTS test, my latest transcript from my current bachelor program, and a college and program in mind; which I will undoubtedly prepare ASAP.In terms of finance, how should I prepare? I;ve been told that an international student in Canada should expect to spend about CA$800-CA$1000 per month, including room and board, transportation, books, health insurance etc. So I;m assuming that from here at least I should prepare airline tickets, the first installment of tuition fees, living funds for the first month or two and settle with the co-op program to make sure that I have a job as soon as I arrive there? How does this work out? How much could I make on co-op, and what kind of work would it be? How much could I make on campus work, say assisting professors in classes or research? If my program is only about a year, what can I do to get a good scholarship or financial assistance, say within the first three months I arrive in Canada? Any ideas how I can plan a well thought out financial strategy between now and February 2011?

No comments:

Post a Comment