Tuesday, July 13, 2010

it is the hassles, not the difficulty

For the vast majority of individuals, driving an automobile is a skill that can be mastered without provoking an anxiety attack. The question is whether owning and driving a car is worth the expense and inconveniences. My answer is that it does depend on the situation. I have five homes and about a half dozen vehicles. There are certain places where I always drive (e.g., Redlands, California) because public transportation is more of a hassle, and certain places where I never drive because parking and traffic are so problematic (e.g., Mexico City). I write this from downtown Acapulco, and I shall be hopping a bus back to my home on the west side. I have a truck in the driveway, but only take it out on low traffic days.

For most people in California: you need a car.

For most people in Mexico: you do not need a car.

No comments:

Post a Comment